November is the month of Thanksgiving. I challenge you to take time to write, pray, speak, share with family, post on Facebook, tweet, and share one thing a day your are thankful for in your life. This is thirty opportunities for you to realize just how blessed you really are and for what you are thankful.
A tradition we have started a few years back in the Barlow household is the thankful jar. I encourage you to do this as well. Place a jar somewhere in the home where there is high traffic. Each time you pass by it, think of something for which you are thankful and take a quick second and write it down. When Thanksgiving Day finally arrives, you should have a jar full of paper. Sometime during the day, while everyone is gathered, read the papers one by one.
Need some help kick starting your thankfulness? Here are ten scriptures to start your November off right!
1. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 — Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
2. Psalm 107:1 — Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!
3. Ephesians 5:20 — Giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,
4. Colossians 3:15-17 — And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
5. James 1:17 — Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
6. Philippians 4:6 — Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
7. 2 Corinthians 9:15 — Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!
8. Psalm 106:1 — Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!
9. Psalm 105:1 — Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples!
10. Colossians 3:15 — And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.
On the Journey,